Here is some information about non-alcoholic spirits and non-alcoholic drinks, or “mocktails.” We hope you find it useful! Please see our FAQs section, or feel free to contact us if you have questions that we haven’t answered.
- What are Non-Alcoholic Spirits?
- Popular Types of Non-alcoholic Spirits
- Other Types of Alcohol-free Spirits
- Non-alcoholic Spirits ingredients
- How are Non-alcoholic Spirits made?
- How is Mashville Non-alcoholic Whiskey Alternative made?
- How are Alcohol-free Spirits consumed?
- What are Non-alcoholic Drinks or Mocktails?
- Popular types of Mocktails, or Alcohol-free Drinks
- How to make Mocktails and Non-alcoholic Cocktails
- Where to buy Alcohol-free Spirits
- Health and lifestyle benefits of Non-Alcoholic Spirits
- Join The Revolution!
What are Non-alcoholic Spirits?
A non-alcoholic spirit is a complex liquid that has been blended to recreate the warmth, mouthfeel, and flavor of a traditional spirit. Non-alcoholic spirits come in many varieties, just like traditional spirits. The main difference, of course, is the zero alcohol content. But, some non-alcoholic spirits are also free of other things besides alcohol. Seir Hill Mashville Non-alcoholic Whiskey Alternative, for example, is not only alcohol-free, it’s calorie-free, gluten-free, allergen-free and vegan.
Popular Types of Non-Alcoholic Spirits, or “Alternatives”
- Whiskey Alternatives
- Vodka Alternatives
- Gin Alternatives
- Rum Alternatives
- Tequila Alternatives
These are just some of the alcohol-free spirits that are made to taste like mainstream favorites. These are called Whiskey, Vodka, Gin, Rum, and Tequila “Alternatives” because they are made to deliver the same sort of complexity, aroma, warmth, mouthfeel, and flavor of those exact same spirits – without the alcohol.
The authentic experience of these traditional spirits can be difficult to approximate without alcohol. The ingredients, processes, and batch-sizes that alcohol-free spirits makers use can vary widely and can make all the difference in your satisfaction when you drink alcohol-free cocktails.
Other Types of Alcohol-free Spirits
Some Alcohol-free spirits aren’t made to taste like any traditional spirit at all. They have their own unique flavors that attempt to approximate the same sort of complexity, aroma, warmth, mouthfeel, and flavor of traditional spirits in their own way. These types of Alcohol-free spirits can be made with anything from roots to berries, to spices and flowers, and contain many of the same ingredients as the mainstream and boutique non-alcoholic spirits “alternatives” mentioned above.
What Are Non-alcoholic Spirits Made of?
Non-alcoholic Spirits can be made from all manner of ingredients that are blended together to produce the taste notes, aromas, color, and “burn” that the maker is trying to achieve. There’s a seemingly limitless array of flavors for makers to choose from to flavor and color their alcohol-free spirits. The essence of these ingredients are extracted, transmogrified, and refined by various methods before blending and bottling.
The ingredients of Non-alcoholic Spirits can include:
- Natural and Artificial Flavorings
- Natural and Artificial Colorings
How Are Non-alcoholic Spirits Made?
There are several basic techniques and processes that are used to make non-alcoholic spirits. Some of them go back thousands of years.
- Maceration: This is a simple process by which an ingredient is soaked in a cold liquid in order to extract it’s flavor.
- Distillation: This is the process of heating a liquid in order to create a vapor, and then capturing and condensing that vapor so as to return it to a liquid with new properties.
- Filtering: Liquids created during various stages of the process are run through filters in order to purify and uncloud them.
- Blending: Various distillates, macerations, and other filtered ingredients are mixed together in to achieve a certain flavor, look, and mouthfeel.
How is Seir Hill Mashville Non-alcoholic Whiskey Alternative Made?
Not all alcohol-free spirits are made the same way. Mashville is crafted in single batches, using all 4 of the techniques listed above: the flavorings we use are created through maceration and filtration processes, the water that we use is distilled, and our final blending is conducted by a certified sommelier and master blender.
The natural colors that give Mashville its deep, traditional whiskey appearance come from caramel and purple carrots. Some very common preservatives are also added to protect quality and assist in creating that mouthfeel you want from delicious alcohol-free cocktails.
Mashville was specifically blended to release complex taste notes and aromas of charred oak, malt, red apple cider, clove, and sweet corn when blended into mixed drinks called Mocktails. Exactly how we do that is a secret.
The flavorings we use come from crops like malt, corn, apples, and lemons – which are made possible only by the hard work and dedication of America’s Farmers. That’s why we donate a portion of every Seir Hill product sold to the American Farmland Trust. And that’s why we hoist our Mocktails all the time and say “Cheers!” to those fine people.
Seir Hill Mashville Contains:
Filtered Water, Charred Oak Flavor, Malt Flavor, Clove Extract, Sweet Corn Flavor, Red Apple Cider Flavor, Meyer Lemon Flavor, Natural Flavors, Citric Acid, Acaia and Xanthan Gums, Purple Carrot and Caramel (Natural Color), Potassium Sorbate, and Sodium Benzoate.
Seir Hill Mashville is:
The natural ingredients in Mashville can separate, and this is perfectly…natural! Just give the bottle a few shakes and you are good to go. Back at it. Making delectable alcohol-free cocktails just the way you like them!
How Are Alcohol-free Spirits Consumed?
The best alcohol-free spirits, like Seir Hill Mashville Non-alcoholic Whiskey Alternative, are made to be mixed and consumed in non-alcoholic drinks called Mocktails. A true alternative should never be consumed straight: we believe that the only way non-alcoholic spirits can deliver the authentic flavor and feel of traditional spirits is when they are blended into mixed non-alcoholic drinks. Especially when used as the base for “classic” Mocktail recipes.
What Are Non-alcoholic Drinks, or Mocktails?
Mocktails are alcohol-free cocktails that are made with all the ingredients of your favorite cocktail recipes – but the traditional spirits are replaced with alchohol-free spirits. Mocktails are a festive way to include yourself or your non-drinking guests in the cocktail hour. And a Mocktail is no harder to make than any other traditional cocktail!
Popular Types of “Mocktails,” or Alcohol-free Drinks
- Mai Tai
- Moscow Mule
- Rob Roy
- Rum and Coloa
- Tequila Sunrise
- Iced Tea
- Vodka Tonic
How to make Mocktails: Mocktail Recipes
Anyone can make mocktails, and they can be as sophisticated or as casual as the maker likes. Non-alcoholic spirits are substituted for traditional spirits, and blended with the remaining ingredients of any cocktail recipe…classic, trending, or custom made by you.
You want to be sure to use Non-alcoholic spirits that are intended for mixing. At Seir Hill, we make products like our Mashville Non-alcoholic Whiskey Alternative specifically for mixing into Mocktails, never to be consumed neat. We believe this gives whiskey lovers the closest approximation to a traditional whiskey experience.
Some sellers of alcohol-free spirits recommend different ratios of their product in their Mocktail recipes. For example, one brand might recommend that you use the same amount as you would a traditional spirit. Another brand might recommend that you cut that amount in half. Be sure to understand the ratio that is recommended with any brand before pouring. Usually, a Mocktail recipe for a specific brand will simply list the number of ounces that should be used in their specific alcohol-free cocktails.
Below are two excellent recipes for Mocktails. Please be sure to check out our Seir Hill Mocktails page as well.
- 2 maraschino cherries
- 1 slice of orange
- 1 sugar cube (or 1 teaspoon simple syrup stirred in instead)
- A dash or two of Angostura bitters
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 or 3 large ice cubes
- 2 ounces Mashville non-alcoholic spirits
How to make an Old Mashioned:
- Put the sugar cube (or simple syrup) in an old fashioned glass, add the bitters over it, and then add the water.
- Add the cherries and orange slice, and muddle it all together.
- Add the ice to the glass, pour the Mashville non-alcoholic spirits over the ice, and stir.
Some cocktail aficionados skip the muddled fruit and, instead, twist a slice of orange peel over the top of the drink and then drop it in for garnish. If that's still too much fruit for you, forget it altogether. The bitters are enough to do the job.“Seir Hill Sour”
- 1½ ounces Mashville™ non-alcoholic spirits
- ¾ ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¾ ounce simple syrup
- 1 maraschino cherry
How to make a Seir Hill Sour
- In a cocktail shaker, combine Mashville non-alcoholic spirits, lemon juice, and simple syrup.
- Add the ice and shake.
- Pour into a rocks glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with a cherry.
Where can I buy Alcohol-free Spirits?
Alcohol-free Spirits and Mocktails can be found in many places across the United States:
- Alcohol-free Spirits can be purchased online here at the Seir Hill website shop.
- Many other makers and sellers of non-alcoholic spirits have websites where their goods are sold.
- Many bars are serving Mocktails containing alcohol-free spirits, and bartenders tell us they truly enjoy making them. So don’t be shy, enjoy yourself, order up.
- Mocktails are showing up on more popular restaurant menus, and it makes sense! Just because you’re driving, or watching your health, or pregnant, or stopped drinking (or whatever!), it doesn’t mean you don’t want that special cocktail when you’re dining out.
The availability of non-alcoholic spirits is steadily increasing, but interest and demand still far outweigh distribution. Adoption after trial is very high. And as more consumers of traditional spirits try non-alcoholic spirits, demand will increase steadily in the coming years.
The importance of consumer advocacy and word of mouth cannot be overstated in this burgeoning category. Non-alcoholic spirits aficionados and Mocktail lovers will continue to be the key drivers of availability in popular restaurants, liquor stores, bars, and backyard bar-b-q’s.
The Health and lifestyle benefits of Non-Alcoholic Spirits
“Driven by an increased interest in wellness and the expanding selection of (non-alcoholic) beverages, 58% of consumers are drinking more non-alcoholic beverages than last year…”
- Forbes, 1.10.21
There are many benefits to mixing alcohol-free spirits into your cocktail routine:
- Some alcohol-free spirits are calorie-free, and some are just low calorie. Some alcohol-free spirits are gluten-free, allergen-free, and vegan as well!
- Reducing or eliminating alcohol from your diet can help reduce weight and improve sleep. It can also can help your heart and your liver function.
- Mixing Non-Alcoholic Spirits into your routine can help regulate your mood.
- Using Non-Alcoholic Spirits can help you be more on top of your game at night, and feel a whole lot better in the morning.
Maybe you are wondering if you’ll feel better, look better, and live better if you mix alcohol-free spirits into your lifestyle? If so, maybe it’s time you Join the Revolution!
Join the Revolution!
“…61% of consumers want better choices when it comes to NA drinks.”
- Forbes, 1.10.21
As today’s cocktail lovers become more assertive about their health, and more forward about their personal choices, they are demanding more exciting and satisfying alternatives to alcohol. Alternatives other than the usual boring water, seltzer and sugary sodas. Alternatives that still somehow make us feel like we are included and participating in the cocktail scene, even if we are not drinking. And that’s where Seir Hill alcohol-free spirits come in.
Seir Hill is dedicated to crafting the most authentic alternatives to traditional spirits for mixing into classic non-alcoholic cocktails and seasonally-inspired Mocktails. Remember, a fantastic, classic, delicious drink does not have to contain alcohol if it’s made with Seir Hill. Join the Revolution!
Here are a few ways you can Join the Revolution:
- Try Seir Hill if you haven’t already!
- Ask for Seir Hill non-alcoholic spirits at your favorite restaurant.
- Ask for it the next time you’re out at a bar.
- Offer Mocktails made with Seir Hill at your next gathering.
- Mention Seir Hill to someone you know who is trying to get healthier.
- Give Seir Hill to someone as an original and thoughtful gift.
We appreciate your interest in alcohol-free spirits, and especially in Seir Hill products. Cheers!