- 2 maraschino cherries
- 1 slice of orange
- 1 sugar cube (or 1 teaspoon simple syrup stirred in instead)
- A dash or two of Angostura bitters
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 or 3 large ice cubes
- 2 ounces Mashville
How to make a Old Mashioned:
- Put the sugar cube (or simple syrup) in an old fashioned glass, add the bitters over it, and then add the water.
- Add the cherries and orange slice, and muddle it all together.
- Add the ice to the glass, pour the Mashville over the ice, and stir.
Some cocktail aficionados skip the muddled fruit and, instead, twist a slice of orange peel over the top of the drink and then drop it in for garnish. If that's still too much fruit for you, forget it altogether. The bitters are enough to do the job.